Standard Finishes: $114,500
Silk Black, Black Carbon
Bespoke Finishes: $5,000 upcharge
White Gloss, Oak Satin, Natural Cherry Satin, Zebrano Gloss, Birdseye maple Gloss, Red Birdseye Gloss, Red Tulip Gloss, Burr Walnut Gloss, Walnut Gloss, Ebonised Walnut Gloss
Colored Carbon Finishes: $5,800 upcharge
Enzo Red, Ettore Blue, Silverstone Grey, Champagne Gold
(other colors available at additional cost)
In the Cardinal the Troika System should be recognised as a highly innovative and significant advance in the loudspeaker design. The Troika not only places three highly integrated Wilson Benesch drive units in close proximity, but it also directly interrelates with the cabinet and drive unit architecture to create mechanical filtering. The result is a highly optimised crossover, with all electrical components reduced or removed entirely to preserve the perfect signal from the amplifier.
The design of the Cardinal’s bass drive topology is no less innovative. Two Isobaric Drive Systems deliver powerful, highly dynamic bass through a total of 4 Tactic II Drive Units. The Isobaric Drive System is not a new Wilson Benesch design, having being used in the original Bishop loudspeaker. However in the Cardinal, Wilson Benesch have deployed the Tactic II drive units lined astern. Such is the power of the system, Wilson Benesch use a 35kg machined alloy sub baffle to house the Isobaric Drive System - an unyielding platform from which the Cardinal delivers its lightning-fast, highly-dynamic and powerful low frequency.
The Cardinal is a masterpiece of engineering; total harmony in all the parts, fitted together with such proportion and connection, that nothing could be added, diminished or altered but for the worse.
Equipped with a total of 18 Wilson Benesch drive units per pair, the Cardinal is capable of delivering wide bandwidth sound from 25Hz to 30kHz.
During the development of the Cardinal extensive research and development was undertaken in drive unit topology. The result was the Troika System; a new topology - previously unused by Wilson Benesch that placed the new Semisphere Tweeter at the heart of the upper and lower Tactic II midrange drive units.
“The Cardinal represents the tip of a long and perfectly mapped development path, stretching back across multiple models. But the pace of advance isn’t necessarily even and the Cardinal represents a genuine step change in both ambition and performance. It might be demanding but it can also be mightily rewarding and is, by some considerable margin and on any terms, the best speaker that Wilson Benesch has ever made.”
Roy Gregory, HIFI+, Febuary 2013
- (1) 1 inch Wilson Benesch Semisphere tweeter
- (2) 7 inch Wilson Benesch Tactic II mid-range drive units
- (4) 7 inch Wilson Benesch Tactic II Isobaric bass drive units
- (2) 7 inch Wilson Benesch Tactic II ABR drive units
- Poly-alloy hybrid construction
- High performance carbon composite A.C.T. monocoque
- Lower mid range infinite baffle sealed enclosure
- Upper mid range Tactic II ABR sealed enclosure
- Isobaric drive chamber Tactic II ABR sealed enclosure.
- 8.8 pound precision machined Isobaric drive sub baffle
- Two-way electric, Four-way acoustic, floor standing loudspeaker
- Impedance: 6 ohm nominal / 3 ohm minimal
- Sensitivity: 90dB at 1 metre on-axis, 2.83V input
- Frequency response: 25Hz - 30kHz +/- 2dB on-axis
- Minimum amplification power recommendation: 100 W / channel
- Crossover frequency: 500Hz / 5kHz
- Height: 68.3 inches
- Width: 24.4 inches
- Depth: 25.2 inches
- Volume: 92L
- Weight per speaker: 397 pounds
- Aerospace silk black baffle, spine and foot
- High gloss satin weave carbon fibre cabinet
- High gloss carbon fibre top
- Bespoke side cheek options - see... FINISHES